Skip to content

Insurance Center Associates Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Is Flood Damage Covered by My Homeowners’ Insurance? What to Know

Homeowners’ insurance protects you and your family from a variety of disasters. However, in most cases, your policy will not protect you from water damage. Homeowners’ insurance will usually cover damage from accidental and unexpected occurrences, such as a pipe breaking, and ruining a section of drywall or flooring. It does not cover damages caused by poor maintenance, sewer problems, or flooding. Be sure to look over your plan carefully and take note of what areas may need additional coverage.

What Kinds of Flood Damage Does Flood Insurance Cover?

In order to fully protect your home from water and flood damage, you need to make sure you have the right plan in place. Insurance Center Associates in Torrance and San Pedro, CA is a great place to start. Look for a flood insurance policy that includes:

Dwelling Coverage:

Dwelling Coverage helps pay for damage to the structure of your home, for example, a damaged wall or foundation.

Personal Property Coverage:

Personal Property Coverage helps cover the cost of damaged personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, or electronics.

Why Do I Need Flood Insurance in Torrance and San Pedro, CA?

Insurance industry research shows that 98% of basements in the United States will have some type of water damage during their lifespans. The average cost of a home water damage insurance claim is $6,965, and a flooded house can cost as much as $30,000 in repairs.

Be aware that most insurance plans will have a deductible amount that needs to be paid before coverage kicks in. Make sure you read through your policy thoroughly and are familiar with the parameters so you can be prepared ahead of time for any emergency costs. If you are not the owner of your home, it is wise to have a renters’ insurance policy in place.

What Causes Flood Damage?

Some areas are naturally more prone to flooding. Here are some things to watch out for:

Overland Flooding:

This is the most common type of flooding and can occur when a river or dam overflows. It can also happen after a heavy storm or fast snow-melt, with water running too quickly for the sewers to keep up with carrying the water away from neighborhoods. Generally, this type of flooding happens more slowly and gives homeowners a chance to prepare.

Flash Floods:

This kind of flooding happens much more quickly, usually within only a few minutes of extremely heavy rainfall, and comes without warning.

Hurricanes and Tropical Storms:

Flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms is the most severe. The strong winds that accompany the heavy rainfall can do a lot of damage to homes and businesses. They can also cause land and mudslides.

For more information about homeowners' insurance, visit Insurance Center Associates today.