Skip to content

Learn: Motorcycle Insurance

Motorcycle Classification

Motorcycles are classified as one of the following

  • Regular cruiser / street bike
  • Sport-high performance
  • ATV / dirt bike

The classification affects not only the motorcycle insurance rates, but even the policy type in some cases. That said, insurance for motorcycles is very much like car insurance.

Why do I need motorcycle insurance?

In most states, if you’re involved in a traffic accident, you must provide proof of financial responsibility. The most common way of meeting this requirement is by purchasing a motorcycle insurance policy.

California law requires that all drivers be able to pay damages resulting from the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle.

Drivers must show their ability to pay damages (called “financial responsibility”) of at least 15/30/5

Here’s what that means:

  • $15,000 for each person injured or killed in an accident,
  • $30,000 for injury/death to two or more persons in one accident
  • $5,000 for property damage from any one accident.

What type of insurance do I need?

California only requires the liability portion. Depending on your situation or the age of your vehicle, you may need or be required to carry physical damage coverage, uninsured motorist, or some of the optional coverages listed below.

A “typical” policy might include:

  • Liability
  • Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist
  • Physical Damage (Comp & Collision)
  • UMPD or CDW (Uninsured motorist deductible waiver)
  • Towing
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Other Optional
  • Medical payments
  • GAP or Loan/Lease Coverage
  • OEM Parts
  • Special Equipment

Optional coverages include:

  • GAP Loan / Lease Coverage
  • Medical Payments
  • Uninsured Motorist
  • Rental Car / Roadside Assistance
  • Towing
  • OEM Parts replacement
  • Special Equipment