Auto insurance is a necessity, but that doesn’t mean it has to be an expensive necessity. There are plenty of simple ways to save money on auto insurance without sacrificing protection or peace of mind. Use the following tips to lower your bill.
1. Drive Safe and Smart
Your insurance rates are affected by your driving habits. Multiple traffic citations or costly accidents could increase your premium.
You can’t control the weather or other drivers, so some accidents may be unavoidable, but there are plenty of things you can do to reduce the chances of being in an accident or getting a citation.
- Don’t drive over the speed limit.
- Don’t eat, apply makeup, or check your phone while driving.
- Never drink and drive.
- Look up the directions to your destination before you get in the car so you know what to expect.
- Check your mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes.
- Only switch lanes when necessary.
2. Drive Less
Insurance rates are partially determined by the amount of driving you do. The less you drive, the less likely you are to be in an accident. This means that if you drive less, your insurance rates will generally be lower. Consider carpooling, riding a bike, or taking public transit to reduce your yearly mileage.
3. Bundle Your Insurance Policies
Some insurance companies offer lower rates to customers who bundle their insurance policies. If your auto insurance provider offers homeowner’s insurance or life insurance, consider signing up for other services.
4. Research Before Buying A New Car
A 10-year-old Buick will be cheaper to insure than a brand new Ferrari or Porsche. Next time you purchase a new car, do a little extra research. Is there a similar vehicle that will cost less to insure? Save money by doing your homework.
5. Ask About Discounts
Some companies offer discounts to customers who take a defensive driving course.If you never ask about discounts, you may be missing opportunities to save money.
- Insuring multiple vehicles with the same company may result in discounted premiums.
- Parking your car in the garage instead of on the street may lower your monthly bill.
- Ask about discounts for teenagers with good grades.
- Vehicles with anti-theft devices may be eligible for discounts.
6. Choose A Higher Deductible
One of the simplest ways to reduce your insurance premium is to opt for a higher deductible. You’ll pay less every month, but a little more if you are actually in an accident. This is a riskier option, but it is a simple way for careful drivers to save money all year long.
Your auto insurance can be affordable. Use the above tips to reduce your monthly rates and save money for other things.