Over 250 trees will catch fire this season. Here are tips to help avoid it being yours.
When purchasing a natural tree, the most Important thing is to make sure the Christmas tree is fresh. Make sure the needles on the tree do not pull easily or break when slightly bent
- Have the Christmas tree lot re-cut the base of the tree, at least 2 inches above the old cut
- Clean the tree stand with a cup of water and a capful of bleach
- Put in the stand, with water as soon as possible and keep watered often. Trees can “drink” a lot of water, especially when first set up.
- Use floral preserve in your water
- Place your tree away from any heat source
- Keep all candles and flames away from the tree
- Use newer UL listed light strings (they have better standards and use less electricity also. Never use old damaged lights, or overload the outlet!
- Put the lights on a timer - don't leave them on all day/night it will dry the tree quicker.
Have a happy and safe Holiday!