Skip to content

Insurance Center Associates Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Do I Need Coverage For Uninsured Motorist Property Damage?

Did you know that about 13% of motorists in America are driving without insurance? Though 49 states require car insurance by law, that doesn’t mean everyone’s following the rules, and some states like Florida have even higher rates of uninsured motorists on the road. 

Because 1 in 8 motorists are uninsured, there’s a chance you could get into an accident with one of them. And if you don’t have collision insurance, you will have to pay out of pocket for the damages. Incredibly, the rate of uninsured motorists across America is increasing, and it’s more important than ever for you to protect yourself with the proper insurance.

Who Needs Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Motorist insurance laws vary by state, with some requiring uninsured motorist coverage by law.  If you live in one of these states, you’re someone who needs to add uninsured motorist coverage to your insurance plan. You should also consider getting this type of coverage if you don’t already have collision insurance that will pay for uninsured motorist property damage to your vehicle in an accident.

Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Coverage If I Have Collision and Comprehensive Insurance?

Insurance policies can get confusing quickly, and many drivers might be asking themselves whether they need uninsured motorist coverage if they have collision and comprehensive insurance. In short—it depends on where you live. 

If you live in a state that doesn’t require uninsured motorist coverage, then you won’t be required to buy this type of insurance. But if you live in a state where it is a requirement, then you’ll need uninsured motorist coverage on top of your collision and comprehensive insurance. These states include:

  • Maryland

  • New Hampshire

  • North Carolina

  • South Carolina

  • Vermont

  • Virginia

  • Washington D.C.

  • West Virginia

Many other states require drivers to buy uninsured motorist coverage, unless they choose to reject it in writing. These states include:

  • Alaska

  • Arkansas

  • California

  • Georgia

  • Indiana

  • Louisiana

  • Mississippi

  • Rhode Island

  • Tennessee

  • Texas

  • Washington

Get Uninsured Motorist Coverage Today

If you need uninsured motorist coverage in the Los Angeles County area, Insurance Center Associates is here to help. Check out our auto insurance policies and a range of other insurance products for your home, business, or property, then contact us for a free auto insurance quote today.