It’s that time of year again. Time to put up the Christmas tree, work your ovens to their breaking point, buy gifts for the family and get those thousands of Christmas lights up on the house.
Insurance Center Associates know how important it is for your house to look its best this holiday season, we also know how important your safety is while putting up those Christmas lights.
We have compiled the best safety tips and tricks for putting your Christmas lights on the roof this year.
Up On The Rooftop
Getting your lights up on the house can be tricky, especially when you’re using a ladder to hang them or access the roof. Here are some ladder tips you may consider before making the climb:
- Consider using a hook helper if things are higher than where you can reach.
- Never go higher than the second to last step on your ladder.
- Always face toward your ladder.
- Place your ladder on a flat, solid and dry/ice free surface when possible.
The Weather Outside Is Frightful
Something you may want to consider before your Christmas light project begins is ensuring that the weather is suitable. Make sure to check your local weather and plan accordingly.
Your Christmas lights should also be weather-ready before deciding to put them on the roof.
Outdoor lights can be used indoors, but are specifically designed to withstand weather conditions like rain or snow.
Tip: Do not use indoor lights outside, they have the potential to short out and become hazardous.
Those Christmas Lights Keep Shining On
This Christmas, before hanging up your lights, consider these last safety tips:
- Double-check your lights before hanging them up on the house. Ensure there are no breaks or tears in the cords.
- Replace any broken bulbs.
- Tuck away any cords outside. If your cords don’t reach an outlet, don’t use shortcuts, instead buy a longer extension cord.
- Opt out of using nails or staples to hang your lights. Consider using plastic clips.
Wishing you Happy Holidays
From all of us at Insurance Center Associates, we wish you the safest and happiest of holidays. Give us a call today to protect your most precious gifts at a price that fits your budget.