The holiday season is here - time to eat good food and join together with loved ones. For many who have families far away, this is also is the time to pack up and get out of California.
If you are gearing up to travel and have pets at home, you're probably considering their holiday options, perhaps a dog sitter, cat spa or kennel. If you just can't bear leaving your furry friends behind, you're in luck! With the following tips, you and your cuddly companions can be on your way - be it via car, plane or train - in safety and comfort.
- Pre-travel honesty. Before you consider making Fido your backseat driver or your wingman, consider whether he will feel safer en route or at home. Some pets simply don't like to travel, while others are more versatile.
- Hit the rails. If you're traveling by train, plan ahead. Make sure pets are allowed on the train and find out what rules apply. Also, ensure your pet can stay with you in the passenger compartment, versus needing to be placed in cargo.
- Comfort your four-legged friends in flight. Before you book your flight, make sure the air carrier allows pets in the cabin or if they need to ride in cargo. Research weight requirements ahead of time, and check the airline's website for additional regulations.
- Pack their bags with care. Pack a travel bag for your pet, just as you do for yourself and your family. Consider items like food bowls, leashes, treats and favorite toys, as well as immunization records and identification tags.
- Put the pedal to the metal. If you have a choice, travel by car. This way you can stop as frequently as necessary for potty stops and feedings.
- Avoid accidents. Regardless of your mode of travel, be cognizant of the duration of your journey. Gauge how much your pet eats and drinks according to the length of the trip. If you're traveling by train, find out in advance if there are stops when you and your pet can get out and get relief.
At Insurance Center, we hope you and your pets have a comfortable, safe journey wherever you travel for the holidays.
For further questions and assistance, please contact us at 310-832-5311 or info [at] inscenter [dot] com.